Wednesday, November 14, 2007

At home in Adjumani

Things are beautifully simple here. Since our arrival on Sunday our team has received nothing but love and generosity from our friends in Adjumani. It is funny, though we are so far from home, I think I speak for everyone when I say we feel very much at home here with Jeff, Michelle, Rick and Faye.

In the past couple of days we have spent our time meeting so many amazing people. We first met Michael who has helped some women in the area by building an energy conserving stove in order to bake pumpkin muffins which they can sell in town. I know we were all so encouraged by his desire to see his community prosper. His passion is contagious.

We have also visited a handful of churches now. Each congregation has welcomed us with open arms... and much singing... We have been so blessed to join them in praise and worship. And to hear how their churches were first started and how they've continued to grow. They also made requests in areas which Jeff and Michelle might be able to help them. I've been blown away by the way Jeff handles the requests. I know one of his biggest goals during his time in Adjumani is that the people would not grow dependent on him, but rather that he would be an encouragement to them to take steps on their own and to become self-sufficient. He has been in Adjumani for many years now and can honestly tell them he understands their needs and reminds them that God is the one that provides and fulfills those needs. Its hard to explain, but I think Jeff has been made for this place. He has a great understanding of what helps and what hinders.

I could type for hours about the massive potholes, or the sugary sweet african tea, or the cute neighbor kids that yell to us whenever we leave the house, or the sparking power surges, or the giant net of stars that show up at night in the giant african sky, but i will not. internet connection here is so touch and go. we will continue to update as frequently as possible. much love to you all.

[brandi]

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so incredibly excited for you (Brandi) and team! I teared up when I read this, because I am just really so proud of the woman in the Lord you have become Brandi... I am also excited to hear the heartbeat of Jeff... That's cool. Awesome! My heart resonates with that of course. Know there's a missionary with a heart for Africa praying for you all from her home in PA... Love you!!!

Mark & Jennie said...

Love hearing how its going a few kilometers away & wish I was there with you! Can't wait to hear more stories - see you soon!

Friends of Uganda said...

Miss you all! Can't wait to see you in just a few short days. much love,
Tif

DouGuru said...

Brandi-

It is nice to hear you are doing well. Heather, Savannah, Emily and I think of you often. Keep writing.

-Doug