Saturday, November 17, 2007

Gulu

From Tiffani--
Hello, everyone! I thought I would give a quick update from Gulu.I am almost finished with my interviews. Due to time constraints and having to travel quite a distance to reach the camp, we (my translator and I) did four interviews on Wednesday and 3 on Friday. Concerned Parents’ Association (CPA) has been wonderful to work for. (To learn more about them go to www.cpa.net) I can hardly believe that my field research is half over! I feel like the interviews went well; the women seemed very honest and were extremely hospitable. They even made us lunch and sent me home with a bag of g-nuts (kind of like small peanuts in the shell). All four of the women I interviewed were in their early twenties and had been abducted by the rebel army, some as young as age nine. One woman even conceived her first child at age 13 while she was still with the army. All of them have escaped and have been living in the camps for 4-10 years. I am so amazed at their strength and courage. And after all that they have endured, they are still able to give and love and find some joy.

I was feeling pretty tired and a bit overwhelmed with everything after the first day of interviews -- it was a LOT to take in and I felt like I was still getting used to the culture here too. But the week ended well and now my friend Jennie (who works in NE Ugand) is here with me and we are having a wonderful, relaxing Saturday. I am looking forward to rejoining the team on MOnday, although I'm sure it will be sad for them to have to leave Jeff and Michelle. It seems like all greetings and good-byes are bittersweet here...trading one good thing for another. I continue to covet your prayers as I finish up my interviews and working wit CPA on Monday. Blessings.

No comments: